Harris County MUD 18 is committed to water conservation and supports a variety of programs that offer ways to more efficiently use this resource. Water conservation is everyone’s business. The water we conserve today will serve us tomorrow.
MUD 18 has updated its Water Rates table to address an increasing cost of water. It is hoped that an outcome of this necessary revision would be an increased awareness of the need for personal conservation by families in our District.
This is the Water Conservation Plan adopted by the Board of Directors.
The District has adopted a Drought Contingency Plan, and it is important that you know what it means if an advisory notice is issued.
Notices issued under the plan may include:
- a call for voluntary water conservation, or
- a notice of mandatory water conservation that institutes specific days and times by house address for outdoor watering
Notices of voluntary conservation are usually triggered by extended hot weather and/or periods of low rainfall. Mandatory conservation notices guide customers during more severe conditions that could affect our District’s water availability. Please review the Plan if you see signs posted in your neighborhood, and abide by the restrictions.
Water Smart Program
The Water Smart program is a public awareness campaign to promote year-round water conservation. It is jointly sponsored by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality and the Texas Water Development Board.
Water Smart’s simple goals form the guidelines of our District’s direct action efforts:
- Increase awareness of the need for water conservation year-round
- Avoid or postpone the need for mandatory water rationing whenever possible
- Enable the public to participate in water conservation efforts outside the home
- Coordinate local water providers to carry out a regional public information campaign on water conservation and supply issues
Water Conservation Links
Water Conservation links to other web sites and to PDF documents for download.
- Texas Water Smart
- Texas Water Conservation Association
- The Environmental Protection Agency’s WaterSense site
- North Harris County Regional Water Authority
- Commercial Capital Training Water Conservation Business Opportunities
Xeriscaping – a PDF published by TAMU’s Agricultural Extension Service is a 16-page document describing the concepts and advantages to using residential xeriscaping in Texas.